25 March 2011

Reading for Christchurch

Today I participated in a Christchurch fundraiser organised by Auckland Libraries and the Society of Authors.  At 32 libraries throughout Auckland 140 writers took part in a read-in to help raise funds for the Christchurch Earthquake Appeal.
It was good to do something, even if only in a small way, and I know I am not the only person to feel guilty that I’m not suffering, when I know so many other people are.  I’ve contributed money, but somehow giving up precious time seemed to make this a more meaningful contribution, although logically I know the money is of more use.
I also enjoyed meeting and listening to the other authors.  In an isolated profession it’s good to meet fellow writers, and the breadth of subject topics and style was amazing.
Thank you to Auckland Libraries and Maggie Tarver of the NZSA for organising this.

No comments:

Post a Comment