26 April 2012

Remembrance

Usually I work from home, but my present contract job involves me working in the city. The autumn sunshine was very tempting, and so today I ate my lunch in a nearby square.

As I looked around I noticed the name of one of the low-rise buildings - the Pioneer Women's Memorial Hall. I've just done a little research and discovered it was built as a monument to the pioneer women of the city, and as a memorial to Miss Ellen Melville, who in 1913 became the first woman councillor in New Zealand. New Zealand was the first country in the world to grant women the right to vote.

Yesterday was ANZAC day, which is a national day of remembrance, and commemorates all New Zealanders killed in war, as well as honouring all returned servicemen and women.

As I ate my lunch, indulged in some people watching, and enjoyed the sunshine I was very aware of my good fortune to have been born in this time, and to live in this beautiful country. It is indeed a privilege and not a right, and I am very grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment